Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Floating in the Ocean


My Dad and I spent about an hour and a half or so floating in the Atlantic yesterday afternoon. What a way to spend a day. Floating in sea water is somehow even more relaxing than floating in a pool. Is it the extra buoyancy that salt water provides or is it just the fact that you're floating out a distance from civilization, surrounded by raw nature (and probably a little bit of raw sewage...but you ignore that bit.)

When I was a kid I loved playing in the waves. Getting clobbered by the big waves, the bigger the better, was the ultimate ocean experience. At some point though, when I got old enough to appreciate what medical waste spills and shark attacks were, I lost that fascination with the ocean. My love for the waves was replaced by a palpable fear, and I spent 15 years or so avoiding the ocean like a plague. Finally in my twenties I went with the family on a beach weekend and talked myself into braving the surf.

That was it. Fear defeated. I know there may be something nasty lurking below the surface, but I also know that encountering it is unlikely. The benefits outweigh the possible detractors. So now I'm back to being in love with the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment