Sunday, September 13, 2009

Renaissance Festival


It's such an odd thing, the Ren Fest, a bunch of grown adults playing dress up, running around in the woods calling each other "sire" and "bawdy wench". I'm not one for the dress up portion, but I like going and watching other people do it every year. Since I was a kid I've always enjoyed the Ren Fest, and while there was a long stretch in my twenties when I didn't attend, Kate and I now try and go once a year (we actually both agree that less than once a year is too little, but more than once a year is a bit too much.)

I can't put my hand on what makes the experience for me. I think it's a combination of a lot of things. The food is a big part of it. As I said in a previous post, food is just better when it's served on a stick. The people watching is another strong positive. Rarely do you get such a diverse group of people, from young punky goth kids to old fart pirate impersonators all in one place. It's a cauldron of human interest.

The shows are great, of course, as well, even though it's a lot of the same performers every year. You generally can't fit more than three shows into a single visit, so repetition of performance happens on a bi or tri-annual basis, and not an annual.

I guess it's just the spectacle of the thing. Plus when else do you get to drink mead in the forest, or really drink mead in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment