Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Student Becomes the Master


Everthing is entangled. Case in point. My younger cousin Ian went to film school. He's very much on his way to becoming a fairly well-known DP (Director of Photography). But before all that he was just a guy in college tinkering around with the notion of possibly exploring the potential or maybe pursuing a career in film.

Working on one of his first school films, he asked me for assistance. I can't remember anymore what it was he needed, but it was something that, in my capacity at Renegade, I was able to help him with, and Renegade allowed it.

Now, more than a decade later, Ian is an authority on the RED camera, a new form of digital camera that more closely approximates a film camera than any digital video camera ever has. In fact he's written a software package, called Crimson that interfaces with the RED's native files and performs useful operations on them. It's a popular package that many production houses that shoot with the RED camera purchase. Renegade, while it doesn't own a RED camera, rents one on occasion, and thus edits with RED's native video files. And so we've purchased and used Ian's software.

The student has become the master, and I couldn't be prouder of my cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment