Thursday, October 1, 2009

Basil at the Door

When we planted our front yard, Kate had the idea to plant a bunch of herbs right in the front. It seemed strange to me, but I went along with it. Man, what a good idea it turned out to be.

The herbs have done spectacularly well (along with everything else) in the garden, especially the basil plants. They're easily ten times the size they were when we planted them. They're beautiful plants, which is reason enough to feature them up front. But then, each day when I get home from work I'm greeted by the nicest scent of basil and cinnamon as I come up the front walk.

We live on a major street, so we get a lot of foot traffic past the house. On many, many occasions now I've seen people stop dead to look at the yard or smell the basil plants. It makes you feel good because you know they're admiring and enjoying something you helped foster into existence.

And of course having plenty of fresh cinnamon basil and lemon basil to cook with is no small benefit either.

No comments:

Post a Comment