Sunday, October 4, 2009

Throw Another Anything on the Barbie

This is going to be a short entry today. I didn't get much sleep last night and I feel like I've nearly exceeded my writing threshold before I've started.

I am a big fan of cooking on the grill. We haven't had a grill since we moved into this house, which has been a real bummer. I'm afraid it will be stolen in this neighborhood, and I can't work out a good solution to chain the thing up. When we finally put a new, larger deck on the back of the house I'm allotting a spot for the grill, designed with security in mind.

Until then I can only fantasize about corn grilled in the husk, burgers, dogs and steaks charred the way that only grilling can deliver, and fish, cooked fast but flaky and tender.

I like grilling not only because of the flavor it imparts to food, but also the process itself. I like sitting outside, beer in one hand, spatula in the other, relaxing as the scented smoke billows out from the side of the grill. I like the public solitude, if that makes any sense. Being outside, in your community, doing your own thing. But I like the potential for socialization that grilling promises, too.

It's an all-around great way to cook what generally comes out a great meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment