Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sometimes the Best Aren't the Ones You Expect

Kate and I saw Ingrid Michaelson tonight at the Recher Theatre. The show was part of my birthday present to her this year, though I think we both like her equally well. And she didn't disappoint. It is easily in my top five all time favorite concerts.* She was quirky. She was fun. The band was a bunch of cut-ups and nut jobs. And the music was stellar. Her voice live is easily twice as good as it is on her recorded material, where's it's already five times better than most other female vocalists.

It was just a light-hearted show that didn't take itself remotely seriously. At one point, at the end of a song Ingrid yelled, "Remix!" and the entire band got up and switched instruments (she went to drums of all things) and replayed that last chorus, switching vocal parts as well to match their new positions. And yet, as funny as the show was, it managed to hit some real emotional moments as well.

It's just funny to me how often the experiences you expect will be great aren't always, and those that you don't really give a second thought to ahead of time end up surprising you more than you could have imagined. I guess that's why life isn't boring. Because nothing is ever what you expect it to be. Not completely, at least.


*Top Five Favorite Live Concerts

5. Billy Bragg and Robyn Hitchcock at the 9:30 Club
4. Ingrid Michaelson at the Recher Theatre
3. Matisyahu at the 9:30 Club
2. My Morning Jacket at the 9:30 Club
1. Zappa Plays Zappa at Constitution Hall: Dweezil Zappa and an immensely talented band of musicians, some of whom played with his father played Frank's music, and did it more than justice. At one point, through the magic of large screen plasma displays and digital playback Dweezil and a posthumous Frank soloed off of on another. Best show ever.

Top Show I Purchased Tickets For and Forgot About

1. Trey Anastasio and the BSO Play the Music of Phish

It killed me. I heard a review of the concert three days afterward, triggering the memory that I'd forgotten to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment