Sunday, April 26, 2009

Native American Art


Today got away from us, so Jason and I are having to do yesterday's entry tonight and today's entry tomorrow morning. I hope our reader's forgive us, Jason tilled the front and back yard yesterday while I went and shot a wedding all evening. We had sod for the backyard delivered yesterday evening and when we woke up today we felt the urgency to get the sod put down as soon as possible before it dried out too much. So we proceeded with laying out sod and planting a few annuals and perennials in the front. We worked in the 80 degree weather for 7 hours, we were exhausted. I believe Jason will tell you more in his entry.

I really enjoy the Native American Art from the Northwest Coast tribes. My interest in this art began when I saw a few of the paintings on Jan's wall, Jason's mom. I then found out that Stephanie, Jason's sister, had one of the same prints tattooed on her back. Ever since I saw those few pieces I've been hooked and completely fascinated. Most of the time the paintings are done in red, black and sometimes some yellow. The themes are animal symbols, painted in divided shapes that are all put together to create one animal. They are pretty tribal looking and always pretty trippy. I just love the style of the art, their simple yet so powerful. I just learned that the style is created primarily by Native American artists from Tlingit, Haida, Tsimshian, Kwakwaka'wakw, Nuu-chah-nulth and other First Nations.

I really want to find the perfect one for me one day, so I can have it tattooed. If your a Grey's Anatomy fan you might have seen this kind of art in the background at Seattle Grace. We just watched the last episode, hence why I'm doing this entry. Here are some of the pieces to give you an idea of the style, Stephanie check out this frog I found.






No comments:

Post a Comment