Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bachelor Chow


Hey Steph. This is food entry number 22.

I'm glad to say that I've put the bachelor chow diet behind me. Kate and I are both becoming decent cooks, Kate even more so than I, and we generally eat pretty well.

However...

While Kate is gone this weekend I'm enjoying a culinary cruise down memory lane, sampling bits of the bachelor chow lifestyle as I go. And leaving all the unwashed plates on the living room table when I'm done.

So far I've had pasta with a can of Chunky Chicken and Corn Chowder dumped on top, a pizza with an accompanying Chicken and Bacon Calzone (it was free from Papa Johns as part of some promotion...I'm not that much of a pig), leftover Chinese food, and bullseye eggs every morning for breakfast. That last one isn't truly bachelor chow, but it qualifies because I'm using the only breakfast-type foods we have in the house to create a meal, and any meal created to save a trip to the grocery store counts as bachelor chow on some level.

For lunch today I'll be dining on cold pizza, leftover from yesterday, and soda. That will likely be my dinner, too. And actually soda is the beverage accompaniment for all my bachelor chow meals, sometimes in a mug, but generally right from the two liter bottle (the most recent of which is empty now, sitting on the floor next to the living room table.)

Am I classy this weekend? Probably not. Do I care? Definitely not. Will this all be cleaned up before Kate gets home? Most assuredly yes. If it weren't for this written confession, Kate would have no idea what a classless barbarian her man becomes when she goes out of town.

But sometimes you just have to get back to the basics. And sometimes your macaroni and cheese, garbanzo beans and tuna fish are just screaming to be combined together. This weekend they get their chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment