Saturday, February 21, 2009

Greasy Spoons

I love breakfast to begin with, and eating it at a great, well-trodden neighborhood greasy spoon is even better.

I can understand how the term came to be used for high traffic, low rent establishments.  It's funny though that it's less pejorative than you'd expect it to be.  I've been in one or two greasy spoons that fulfilled the term literally, and I wouldn't want to go back.  I guess it's a case of romanticizing the underdog and claiming the negative to make it a positive.  Like using "bad", "gnarly" and "nasty" when you mean "good", "awesome" and "sexy."

Those words were randomly chosen.  I'm not calling greasy spoons nasty or sexy.  The thought of eating at a "nasty spoon" would turn anyone's stomach.  But a greasy spoon, with it's perfectly cooked over-easy eggs, house-recipe hash browns, and two egg omelets made with what must be ostrich eggs, is exactly what I'm craving right now.

Damon's is a short one block walk from our house.  If I can talk Kate into it, we might be headed there soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment