Monday, May 11, 2009

Film Festivals

I've been a lover of film festivals since forever. I used to dream of going to Sundance one day to promote my own film or just to go to enjoy of the films and inspiring energy around me. My friend Brooke used to help run the Red Bank, NJ International Film Fest when I was living in and around NYC and I would always come to enjoy the fest and all the parties. It was always a great time and the films were so engaging.

For the past three years Jason and I have enjoyed going to the Maryland Film Festival. The first year Renegade was one of the sponsors so we both got free passes to whatever we wanted to see. It was incredible and we definitely took advantage of the passes. We saw something like 15 shows that year. It was sort of chaotic, but fun none-the-less. This year we didn't have the hook up, so we took advantage of the three ticket deal. It was like a buy two get one free sort of thing.

We saw the Narrative Shorts, which were all very compelling. Then we saw Bobcat Goldthwait's new film "World's Greatest Dad" starring Robin Williams. Some of you might not know that the 80s comedian has turned into a notable filmmaker in the past few years. This latest film is extraordinary. Robin's best performance to date. I highly recommend it. Be warned that it is slightly unnerving, brutally honest, and has a lot of bad language. Bobcat was at the film and answered a few questions afterwards. He was a very charismatic guy, and I'm now an official fan.

To add to all that I finally got to see the infamous John Waters, when he stood up from the audience to applaud Bob. The third screening was the Animated Shorts. They were pretty good this year. I got to go to one of my training workshop now, have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment