Friday, May 1, 2009

We Are Tremendous Machines


Last night, for kicks I took the career test Kate took and talked about in a previous post. Just curious to see if I was in the profession best suited to my wiring. The answer is "no", it turns out. The closet career match to my test results was "biologist." Something I'm interested in, for sure, but not something I'd want to make a career out of, I thought.

But then, trying to come up with a blog post for today my mind went to life's natural healing abilities. Huh. Biology. And, looking back at my previous entries, I find that biology is an overarching theme in many of them. So maybe I am in the wrong career. Those tests can be eerily accurate. Kate's top career path was nursing, exactly what she's been waffling around for weeks.

But I digress. Living tissue is pretty astounding. It's ability to heal damaged areas has no analogue anywhere else in the universe. Self-repairing data structures in computing are the closest thing I can think of, and those are ephemeral. The are no other inorganic systems that self-regulate and automatically heal.

But then this is all just an offshoot of life's persistent will to exist. Multi-cellular organisms are just conglomerations of single-celled organisms, each with its on survival mechanisms. The instinctual will to defend themselves against invaders and procreate their species. Those drives to continue existence create in their ecosystem, us, the ability to heal. And interestingly, this holds true on a macro scale. Our planetary ecosystem, a multi-organisular (new word...made it up...tell your friends) creature derives its own healing ability from each of our, and our neighbor species' wills to live and procreate.

Gaia, for lack of a better name, may not have a mind, but she's very much a living entity. Just as we are a cluster of individual life forms, so is she. I think that's a really cool concept. Maybe it should be the topic of my dissertation when I switch careers and go back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment