Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Liquid Sleep Replacement


Ah yes. Coffee. Blissful addiction to millions of people around the world. One of the few substances with shops devoted strictly to it.* A rarity in the food world. Something that people will consume even if they don't like it, just to derive its effect. And, unlike alcohol, which is imbibed by people in an effort to get each other into bed, just the mention of coffee means the act is a lock. It's a simple seed with deep connections to most of humanity.

Interestingly, I don't really drink coffee to wake up. Caffeine in lower doses doesn't seem to affect me. I can down an energy drink and still manage to nod off. But I still have a cup every morning at work. I just like it. The flavor, the accompanying creamers, and the socializing at the coffee pot. Really, I think I'm attracted to the ritual. I'm a creature of habit, and certain morning rituals just feel right. Coffee in the morning eases me into the day. I think it actually relaxes my nerves as opposed to jangling them.

I can't wait for my morning cup.


*Interestingly most of those shops, Coffee, Bagel, Donut, Pancake (House), Waffle (House), etc. all revolve around breakfast. Maybe because people are too bleary-eyed in the morning to go anywhere without a very specific purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment