Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Falling (And Staying) Asleep Easily


It's an extremely positive thing to be able to fall asleep when you want to, and stay soundly asleep all night. I could do neither last night, so this will be a short entry. It was strange, because I fell solidly asleep on the couch only minutes before I retired for the night. Yet once in bed, my mind wouldn't still itself. Nor would it refrain from waking me up throughout the night with useless nonsense thoughts. Thankfully this is the exception for me, not the rule. Not the part about having useless nonsense thoughts. I get those all the time, but generally during the day.

My Mom on the other hand hasn't slept soundly for years, apparently. She's always complained of never feeling rested after a nights sleep. Turns out she has sleep apnea. She just found out a week or two ago. She will likely start sleeping with a pump attached to her nose which pressurizes her throat and lungs, keeping the esophageal valve from closing and waking her up. She may finally get a good nights sleep for the first time in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment