Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Talented Kate Winslet


Kate Winslet is an extraordinary actress and has been a favorite of mine since 1994's Heavenly Creatures was released. Like many of her films this one's a dark twisted coming of age flick. I've always respected her with film choices from Titanic to Hideous Kinky. Her acting just draws you in, she has a way of seeming relatable in every role she's played. Her range is huge. She is also very beautiful and has a very sensuous nature. I think she's been nude in ten films or so, which also makes her fearless and able to truly embody her characters.

I had a chance to watch her work some while working on the set of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. No communication was exchanged, but I still love to say I saw her and maybe, just maybe I followed her into the bathroom and proceeded to do my business with no words exchanged. It was hard for me to approach talent while on the job, I thought it was unprofessional. I did finally open up a little to the director, Michel Gondrey, which then led to a backstage concert invite to the White Stripes contest. Taking more occasional risks could have led to more exciting ventures, but life goes on and I still have at least a few exciting stories.

Wow, I really just got off topic.

Last night I saw Kate in her most profound role to date, The Reader. It was an extremely moving and heartbreaking film. Kate truly deserves her best actress win. She explained in the "making of" that this was the most groundbreaking film she's ever been a part of. This was also the first time she had to endure a make-up transformation. She aged from 35 to 65 years old as the film went on and she loved this experience.

She is a profound actress with a real joyous personal sensibility. She has stretched the female roles beyond the norm. I can't wait to see what she does next. If you would like a little Kate 101, I would see Heavenly Creatures, Hideous Kinky, Quills, Eternal Sunshine, Finding Neverland, Little Children, and The Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment