Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Quiet Solitary Mornings

Most of the time, I'd rather get up with Kate. But sometimes, especially early in the morning, getting up alone to a quiet house is very nice. Especially on work days. I appreciate the time to be with my thoughts, to get myself prepared, to move slowly and methodically. I like the feeling that somehow you're stealing hours from the day that don't normally exist. Like you're existing in some sort of time bubble, sealed off from a world in suspended animation. A lone consciousness piercing a sleeping planet.

It's why I've always liked arriving really early for work, before anyone else gets in. Leaving proportionally early at the end of the day never seems to work out, though. Probably because the rest of the world is unaware of the extra two or three hours I managed to stash in a 24 hour day.

Of course it's really only special when it happens occasionally. Frequency breeds familiarity, and I'd rather sleep anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment