Saturday, January 10, 2009

Female Vocalists

I've always been a huge fan of female singer-songwriters. The way they use their instruments to express such raw emotion and write such amazing lyrics. As much as I've tried to expand my musical interests, with guy or group vocalists, I always come back to the female voice. I don't know what it is about their sound, and the girls I like are musically all over the map. I will always like the raw intensity of PJ Harvey and Liz Phair. Then there's my forever love for the powerful storytellers: Tori Amos and Ani Difranco. And recently my loves are Jenny Lewis (or her band Rilo Kiley), the brilliant Feist, Brandi Carlisle, Regina Spektor, and the sweet Ingrid Michaelson. Probably like most fans, I desire the talent and strengh to express my emotions through singing. I tried for a few years with Chorus and Choir, but with my low self-esteem I never excelled like I possibly could have. Going back to the positive nature of this entry, I love losing myself in a beautiful piece of music. Female vocalists have the ability to perform with such sensuality, tenderness, and passion. Keep singing your inner truths, ladies. I'll be listening with much anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment