Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sharpie Markers

I know this is sort of an obscure one, but if you've ever had occasion to use a Sharpie marker I think you'd agree with me when I say that Sharpies are the greatest writing implement ever created.  Better even than those astronaut pens that write upside-down in the vacuum of space.  How many people find writing in deep space useful?

Sharpies will write on anything.  I base this statement on my own experience and the results of several scientific studies that I'm making up for the purposes of this entry.  But even without that exhaustive research to back up my claim I stand by the statement.  Sharpies will write on anything, permanently.  I've always questioned the "marker" naming convention, because most implements bearing that name only mark on porous surfaces, and often poorly, taking a long time to dry and inevitably smearing.

But not Sharpies.  They dry instantly and permanently on porous and non-porous surfaces alike.  They'll mark on plastic, paper, metal, wood, linoleum, porcelain, stone...even other markers.  In our business, with tapes and DVDs to mark, blocking to map out, cue cards to write and a myriad of other bits of information to convey on set, Sharpies are a great thing to have.

I think it's safe to say that Sharpie markers are to markers as the Macintosh is to personal computers.  As Yes is to 70's Prog Rock bands.  As mini-marshmallow hot chocolate is to regular hot chocolate.  They are the ultimate realization of the form.

And I bet if you took a Sharpie into deep space it would write just fine.  In your face, Alan Shepard.

No comments:

Post a Comment