Thursday, January 15, 2009

Solitude, Part Two

I think this is a first for our two week old blog.  Both entries on the same topic.  You should read Kate's entry first, since hers inspired my entry.

I think everybody likes solitude from time to time.  Some more than others, and some to a very unhealthy degree.  But most of us aren't heading for a Unabomber's life in a shack in the woods. It's important, and healthy to have time to yourself, to do your own thing.  I feel the same way Kate does.  A slow evening at home alone is sometimes all you need to recharge.  Plus, having some time away from the people you love helps you appreciate them more when they are around.

If it had been Kate setting up my mom's computer tonight, and I had been home alone, what would I have done?  I probably would have come home, eaten way too much dinner while watching a Family Guy repeat, then zoned out on the tube until I fell asleep on the couch for a half hour or so.  Then I would have poured my third cup of Diet Dr. Pepper, dragged myself upstairs, pulled up some Beck in iTunes, and surfed the internet for the rest of the evening, learning lots of random things about mostly unimportant stuff.  Undoubtedly one of those random things would have been my topic for tonight's post, and you wouldn't be reading what you're reading right now.

And I think it's safe to say that this post is much better than whatever I would have come up with otherwise, hopped up on Diet Dr. Pepper and useless knowledge, so we're all glad it was Kate who had her night off.

But I do love a good evening alone every so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment