Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Time You Had, Not the Time You Won't Have

So Banjo isn't looking very good.  It's seems a struggle for him just to sit up and walk.  After his force-feeding this evening, Kate said (I missed it, I was cleaning the syringe) that he tried walking in from the hallway and then collapsed flat out, as if he were completely drained.  We're taking him back to the vet tomorrow morning, and I have the awful feeling they're going to recommend putting him to sleep.  And probably right then.

So I was having a tough time coming up with my positive for today.  I considered something goofy, totally out of context from real-life, but that seemed disingenuous.  I decided to focus on Banjo, and came up with sort of a corollary to an earlier post I made.  As I'm facing the almost certain loss of a beloved pet, I should keep my attention on the 14 years he was around.  The 14 years we got to spend together.  The 14 years of friendship.  Focusing on the loss, and his absence once he's gone, accomplishes nothing.

So that's what I'm going to do.  If he has to go tomorrow, I'll let him.  It'll suck for sure, but then he'll be out of pain and I can still keep the previous 14 years in my heart.

I'll just pretend he's living on a farm in Iowa somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment