Sunday, January 25, 2009

Magazine Subscriptions

I've read articles pushing the theory that magazines and newspapers are on their way to the dustbin of history, replaced by information on demand, internet-style.  While I don't doubt that readerships are down, I don't see a complete extinction of daily, weekly and monthly publications happening any time soon.  I think there are plenty of people like me that love the magazine format.

I've been getting Discover Magazine since I was in the seventh grade.  I borrowed a few copies from Mr. Stauffer, my science teacher then, and was instantly hooked.  My mom got me a subscription shortly after, and I've gotten it every month since for the last 22 years.  I think I have most of them still, in boxes in the attic.

There's two elements to the attraction.  First, magazine subscriptions give you something to look forward to.  I get a burst of excitement every time a new issue of Wired, or Family Handyman is delivered.  There's the thrill of the unknown, and the hope that something really important or illuminating is waiting just underneath the cover.  Second, just like with books, I love the artifact itself.  I like having the magazine, reading it, and then sticking on a shelf somewhere for perusing years later.  I've gone back and leafed through 10 year old Discover's and have always been shocked to discover bits I hadn't read the first time.

I don't know.  I don't think the internet and digital delivery will ever completely replace print.  The portability of books and magazines, and totemic quality they seem to always form for me keeps magazine and books distinct from digital media.  I think they complement each other, not compete with each other.

Newspapers are a different matter, but magazine aren't going anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment