Friday, January 23, 2009

The Power of Retail Therapy

I'm not one to push consumerism.  Spending money just to spend money is frivolous and wasteful.  But spending small amounts of money on yourself when you need a little boost is great! Down in the dumps?  Boss been kicking you in the teeth again?  Your 401k balance retreating faster than the polar ice caps?  Go buy yourself something you want.  Not need.  Want.

Really.  Nothing big.  I might buy a book, or some socks...or a book.  Getting something new always seems to recharge me.  But I keep it small.  Retail therapy only works if you don't go into debt in the process.  That brings with it a whole raft of new worries, more purchases, and eventually pitches you into a downward spiral which ends with you living on the street, panhandling for socks and books and feeling even worse than you did before.

Just keep your purchases small and sporadic, and you'll be surprised at how much lighter you'll feel.  Let's take Kate as an example.  She's having a rough day and needs a little pick-me-up.  She could sit on a therapists couch for an hour and part with $150.00 plus change for the meter, or she can go to Urban Outfitters and spend $15.00 on a new hat.  It's the same hour, but it costs 10 times less and she has a new hat when she's finished.  You won't get a hat from a therapist.  That's a guarantee.

Or a book.  And after last week, a new book is exactly what I need.  I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow afternoon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment