Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Love Afghans

Not the culture, although I'm sure some of them are very lovely people.  I love the knitted decorative blanket inexplicably named after them, though apparently not named after them at all. I did some research, and I can't seem to find any information at all on the etymology of Afghan.  This screams cover-up to me.  I'm guessing there actually is a connection between the blanket and the people, but the Department of Homeland Security doesn't want us to know about it.  Why?  Because they don't want us to know the Afghanis have a softer side.  And bureaucrats hate comfort.

I don't though.  While I appreciate Afghans for their decorative potential, it's the comfort factor I'm after.  They are so freaking warm.  My feet get cold all the time, and there's nothing better than wrapping them in a warm, soft, knitted blanket which drove the Soviet Union off its home soil back in the early 80s.  These fierce, mountain dwelling textiles have a long, proud history of self-reliance and come in many bold colors.

Kate's Mom is working on a new Afghan for us right now, and we both can't wait.  Assuming it doesn't get shipped off to Guantanamo Bay for allegedly espousing anti-american militant views we hope to give it a nice home on the couch at the back wall of our living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment