Monday, January 12, 2009

I Love the Mountains

This is a quick one tonight.

I love the mountains.  I've vacationed a few times in mountainous areas, mainly in West Virginia, and I've always had great trips.  I'm sure it's a combination of the altitude, the quiet, and all the extra oxygen kicked out by the abundant trees.  It's a magical place (not unicorn magical or Doug Henning magical...more like Druid magical.)

There's a solitude you can't find many other places.  I like the beach, but you aren't necessarily going to find a quiet place to reflect there.  I suppose there's a measure of solitude out in the ocean, but it's not the same.  If you meditate out in the ocean, you drown.  The mountains, wooded mountains especially, are much more calming, I find.  You can lose yourself in them, though figuratively more than literally you hope.

It's not so much the climbing that entices me.  I've never been much of a sportsmen.  I'm not that concerned with getting to the top.  I just like being there.  Where I am on the mountain matters far less than that I'm on the mountain.  Of course reaching the top does offer it's own reward, and I appreciate that as well.  I just don't seek it out.  If that's where I end up, great.  If not...whatever.  I guess I have a very Zen relationship with mountains.  Just be there, don't try to hard, and the rest will work itself out.

I think I have that same relationship with laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment