Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Craigslist: Everything You Could Want or Need in One Place, For Free


Kate needs an inexpensive used bike. We want new living room furniture, but don't want to buy new. Kate needs an inexpensive or free way to promote her photography business. I'm looking for other endangered reptile egg juggling enthusiasts, but don't know where to look.

All of these situations, and more, can be solved using Craigslist. I'm sure most of you have at least looked at Craigslist, so I'm not going to explain, except to say that it is the single greatest incarnation of the classified ad the world has ever seen. You can buy, sell, promote, and talk about pretty much anything, for free or very inexpensively. To be honest, I'm not even sure which sections charge. I sold an old weight bench without incurring a fee. I've advertised Sweet Home Renovations and it didn't cost me a cent. Kate's using it currently to get the word out about her photography for free. I bought our Wii off of an ad on Craigslist and paid cash to the seller. Craigslist didn't profit at all.

So I'm sure they're charging someone for something, but I don't know where. For most applications, it's free. And it's local, which other sites like Ebay aren't, so you can check out the merchandise before you buy it.

And there's also discussion boards on a huge array of topics, community resources, and personals, where you can find some of the funniest ads you will ever see. If there's something you could be into, there is likely someone looking for it on Craigslist.

Essentially Craigslist is a perfect microcosm of the planet earth, with all of it's eccentricities, personalities and commerce. Craig, you glorious bastard...thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment