Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rocking Chairs...Rock


Call me a 75 year old retired grandmother with a knitting fetish and a penchant for gossip, but I've always had a thing for rocking chairs. I just like the motion. I mean really, who doesn't? The back and forth, back and forth is very soothing. I'm sure it tingles the primitive part of our brain that was aware of motion while we were still in the womb. It's the same reason some people, faced with levels of stress their minds can't deal with, rock back and forth on the ground. Not me of course. Stress can't touch me.

Mainly because I've knitted myself a force field while rocking in my rocking chair.

Actually I haven't really enjoyed the pleasures of a rocking chair in a long time. We have one, but we don't have room for it so it never gets sat on. Plus it's all wood, and I really prefer the older chairs with the wicker seat and back. Much more comfortable.

One day I'd like to build one of those outdoor Adirondack glider chairs. I love gliders because their motion is even smoother than rockers, and they don't require a smooth surface to perform at their best. I would sit the gliders (one for Kate, too) out on our front porch and we would lounge in the spring air, sipping Southsides, chatting with neighbors, rocking our worries into submission.

And if we took Ecstasy we could rock and roll.

But we'll just rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment