Saturday, March 14, 2009

Meatloaf. The Food, Not the Singer.


I can guarantee you will never find a post on 70's overcooked pop singer Meatloaf on this blog. It's a guarantee and a promise. Why he felt the need to defile a culinary delight as fine as meatloaf by assigning that name to his bloated, over-dramatic arena rock cheese food performance slop is beyond me.

Maybe he just likes meatloaf as much as I do. I suppose I can't fault him for that. Meatloaf ranks number two in the "all-time greatest loafs" category, fifth in "foods you can mold into funny shapes" and somewhere in the top 50 "best foods on the planet."

Kate made a meatloaf last night that blew my shoes off. It had big chunks of onion and green pepper, was slathered in ketchup and leaking delicious juice from every crack and cranny. It just melted in your mouth, and made you wish you were a cow so you could bring it up later as a cud and digest it twice.

In a complete coincidence, I found a company company online that takes meatloaf in a very different direction. The folks over at The Meatloaf Bakery in Chicago (www.themeatloafbakery.com) creates confections resembling their sweet shoppe equivalents, but are made entirely of meat. Try meatloaf cupcakes "iced" with mashed potatoes. Or an entire meatloaf "cake". They look delicious, and demonstrate why meatloaf has the fifth place ranking I mentioned earlier.

So what would I do for a delicious plate of meatloaf? Well, I would do almost anything...but I won't do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment