Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Taking a Big One for the Team

You already know from Kate's entry what happened today.  This is her topic to talk about, I know.  I tried coming up with something else, but any other topic felt disingenuous considering the gravity of today's events.  So I'm taking things from a slightly different perspective.

It's never a great thing to lose your job.  Even knowing that, in the end, you'll probably be happier and better off, it's still a scary prospect.  But things could be worse, at least on the group level.  Any given company could, instead of letting a few employees go, try soldiering on with a full staff, and risk bleeding dry and having to shut down entirely.  Here, sacrifices made by the few, willing or not, save the rest of us.

No one wants to be the sacrificial lamb.  And those that still have jobs as a result should be thankful to their unwilling benefactors.  I know it's sort of morbid, but I'm indebted to the few who took a bullet to save the many.  Kate and I would be in a far worse situation if Renegade had to shutter its doors and we both lost our jobs.

So thank you Kate, Juli, Judy, Brett, Tykia and Liz for falling, or rather, being shoved onto the grenade to spare the rest of us.  If there's anything I can do to help any of you, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Youg guys are kick ass. I took a lot from Renegade, one of the best things though was the friends I've made.

    ReplyDelete