Monday, March 30, 2009

Movies That Will Move You, Part 1: Gran Torino and Nick and Norah

I saw two movies this weekend that I would add to my top 50 list, Gran Torino and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. They were both stellar films for completely different reasons. Gran Torino featured Clint Eastwood in a brutally honest performance as the grumpy old widower with terrible bigotry issues, trying to claim his neighborhood back from an Asian takeover. His demeanor is slowly transformed as he starts befriending the neighborhood children. It's a deeply engrossing portrayal of friendship in its truest light. I recommend this film to anyone, just be ready with some tissues.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist on the other hand is delightful. Micheal Cera plays Nick (very similar to his Juno role) whose trying to get over his first love when he meets Norah, played by the alluring Kat Dennings. Like the film Go, this film takes place in one crazy night in NYC. All the many characters are believable and relateable. The soundtrack is incredible, or at least it was for me, since I listen to all the music that was played. It is a fun thrill ride, and not as predictable as all other romantic comedies.

My friend Kate Reckner asked if she could come over next Sunday to watch a film on our, as she puts it "Big Ass TV". The idea of having a movie night every Sunday came to mind. Let's get this started friends, let me know if you're interested in joining us!

No comments:

Post a Comment