Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Live Theater

I like it when new technologies don't supplant older ones, but simply create a new category of experience, leaving the original just as valid, and even, by comparison, more interesting.

Last night Kate and I and friends went to the "Pay What You Can" performance of The Cherry Orchard at the Everyman Theater.  It had been a long time since either of us had attended a stage play.  I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the experience.  There's a depth to a staged play that you lose in a movie.  Even though the sets are merely suggestive of actual rooms and places, as compared to the "reality" of film, they have a life film can't capture.  They are real, tangible things, interacted with by living characters, evolving in front of you.

Even though the play was a little stodgy in some respects for my taste, the involvement I felt by the end more than made up for my relative boredom.  And, in defense, the second half was far better than the first, completely redeeming the earlier act.

Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment