Thursday, July 16, 2009

Chocolate, with Bacon


Sounds strange, right? I thought so, too, but a still, small voice, located somewhere between my brain and my stomach reassured me, and goaded me into trying it. "How could it be bad?", it said confidently, with a small rumbling of hunger to accent its point. "After all, accidental syrup spills onto your breakfast bacon just make a good thing better. How different are syrup and chocolate?"

I couldn't argue. Sweet and savory often make a great combination. I'm not an over-the-top chocolate fan generally, but I like it. And I love bacon. Baconing up anything sounds like a good idea to me. So I tried an eight dollar bar of gourmet medium dark chocolate with bacon pieces scattered throughout.

It was proof that you could add bacon to drywall spackle and have a hit at the Aspen Food and Wine Festival. Bacon illuminates everything good in chocolate. The salty complements the sweet on a basic level, and the smokey notes of meat cradle nicely in the bittersweet dark of the chocolate. It was easily the best (and most expensive) chunk of chocolate I've ever eaten, and I'd recommend it to any chocolate lover. The manufacturer of the bar I had was Vosges Haut-Chocolat. From what I can gather, they removed the "e" in order to make room for the bacon. I'd be more than happy to eat Chocol if it meant even more bacon in the mix.

Ummm...Chocolacon. How about these beautiful looking desserts?



No comments:

Post a Comment